Grow with us. Support excellent research.
IST Austria is a constantly growing international institute for conducting frontier research in the life sciences, the physical sciences, mathematics, and computer science, located in Klosterneuburg on the outskirts of Vienna. As employees in Administration and the Scientific Service Units, we strive to support IST Austria's scientists in performing excellent research. This video provides a bird's eye view of IST Austria.
Full or part time
The Computer Science research led by Dan Alistarh is specialized in the design and implementation of new distributed algorithms and systems. The lab's research has strong connections with Machine Learning, Data Science, and High- Performance Computing. The first project of the advertised position revolves around the design and implementation of a new communication layer for scalable Machine Learning, and will benefit from collaboration with industrial partners (Microsoft Research and Uber AI).
- Help transforming ground-breaking research into professional solutions and/or open source software.
- Develop mature software tools based on cutting-edge research.
- Maintain and improve these tools based on your own ideas as well as internal and external feedback.
- Work on relevant and practical problems with applications in distributed computing.
- Work in close cooperation with world-leading researchers in distributed computing, and lay the groundwork for potential spin-off companies.
- BSc. or MSc. in Computer Science, (Applied) Mathematics, Engineering, or any relevant field
- Working knowledge of distributed and/or high-performance computing, solid software engineering skills
- Familiarity with machine learning frameworks (e.g., Tensorflow/Pytorch), MPI, and scripting languages would be a plus
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and spoken English
- Interest in learning something new each day and in solving challenging technical problems
- Interest in potentially joining a spin-off company based on the group's research results
- Offers challenging positions in a dynamic and growing organization
- Supports learning and development
- Provides flexible working times and numerous fringe benefits
- Promotes an international and open culture
- Supports an appreciative and respectful work environment
- Values diversity and is committed to equality
- Free Shuttlebus for employees (Departing from Heiligenstadt, travel time: about 22 min.) and free parking places
To apply for this position send your application by e-mail to:
For this position we offer a minimum salary of EUR 38,000 gross/year - depending on education, qualification and work experience we are ready to offer a competitive compensation in line with the market and are willing to pay above the minimum salary. The position is initially limited for 3 years. IST Austria processes your personal data in accordance with the statutory data protection regulations. For more information including your rights as a data subject please refer to our data privacy statement: https://ist.ac.at/data-protection/.