Master Thesis: Cell venting and thermal runaway analysis via 3D CFD-CHT for HV battery
AVL is the world's largest independent company for development, simulation and testing technology of powertrains (hybrid, combustion engines, transmission, electric drive, batteries and software) for passenger cars, trucks and large engines.
We offer a master thesis:
Cell venting and thermal runaway analysis via 3D CFD-CHT for HV battery abuse condition
One general concern regarding HV batteries is safety in case of fire events. The goal of this thesis is to further develop AVL 3D numerical methods in order to predict in more detail the risk of thermal runaway in a battery module/pack.Task:
- Literature study on physical properties for venting gas from battery cells
- Validation of suitable real gas models and physical influences
- Modeling of a test geometry
- 3D CFD-CHT (Conjugate Heat Transfer) simulation of cell solids and battery surrounding
- Comparison of measured and calculated data
- Assessment of the influence factors of the thermal runaway behavior
- Technical studies
- Technical understanding
- Basic knowledge of simulations and models
Remuneration: The successful completion of the thesis is remunerated with a one-time fee of EUR 2,500 before tax.
According to the Austrian Employment of Foreign Nationals Act it is unfortunately not possible to assign graduate work to third-country citizens (Non-EU citizens) and Croatian citizens who study at a university abroad.