AVL is the world's largest independent company for development of powertrains (combustion engines, hybrid systems, electric drive) as well as simulation and test systems for passenger cars, trucks and marine engines.
We offer a bachelor thesis:
Real Life Performance of Binary Serialization Formats in Managed Languages
Complex software is often built and distributed across several platforms. User interfaces can be developed using a different programming language than the backend, software can run on a single machine, or be distributed to several machines, either using an on premise computer network or a cloud environment. Such cross-platform architecture requires constant data exchange between different parts of a distributed system. Binary data serialization formats (Google Protocol Buffers, BSON, Cap'n Proto, etc.) can be used to perform these tasks. However, experience shows that many of these formats may be optimized for one platform, but have a negative impact on the overall software performance on a different platform.
- Gather detailed information about the available binary serialization formats
- Write benchmark test code with special focus on multithreaded serialization
- Evaluate performance of different serialization formats in native and managed environments
- Evaluate garbage collector settings at peak memory usages
- Computer Science, Software Engineering and Management, Information and Computer Engineering
- Programming experience in C#, C++
- Understanding of multi-threaded programming
- Language: English or German
Remuneration: The successful completion of the bachelor thesis is a one-time fee of EUR 1.650, - gross remuneration
Contact:DI Majda Osmic
Development Engineer / Vehicle Racing
Tel.: +43 316 787 2291