The Structural Research Group at our Oncology Site Vienna is seeking an experienced Protein Crystallographer in the field of pharmaceutical research and drug design. We are looking for a candidate with outstanding professional and personal competencies, highly motivated and with the ability to act agile, as an individual contributor as well as a team player.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Determine the atomic structures of new proteins of interest and of protein-ligand complexes using protein crystallographic methods in high throughput modes
- Expert analysis of relevant data and related literature to extract important structural insights and drive drug discovery efforts with timely communication to project teams
- Utilize fragment-based screening methods to guide successful hit finding activities
- Provide guidance to crystallization and protein construct design efforts
- Analyze literature for novel drug targets and prepare new project proposals in close collaboration with biologists and medicinal chemists
- Maintain accurate and timely records of experimental results
- Possibility to publish in peer-reviewed journals and present at external scientific meetings
- Doctoral degree or equivalent in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Chemistry or related field
- Postdoctoral training in protein crystallography with ca. 2-5 years of industrial or related academic experience in modern Crystallography techniques
- Passionate about using structural data to influence key scientific decisions
- Strong hands on skills in molecular biology and protein biochemistry
- Proven ability to write own scripts in Linux environment and to utilize cheminformatics tools
- Broad knowledge in protein characterization, biophysics, computational chemistry and medicinal chemistry will be helpful to drive projects forward
- Experiences in CryoEM preferred but not mandatory
Our CultureBoehringer Ingelheim is one of the world's 20 leading pharmaceutical companies. Headquartered in Ingelheim, Germany, Boehringer Ingelheim operates globally through 145 affiliates and a total of some 50,000 employees. The focus of the family-owned company, founded in 1885, is on researching, developing, manufacturing and marketing new medications of high therapeutic value for human and veterinary medicine. In 2015, Boehringer Ingelheim achieved net sales of about 14.8 billion euros. R&D expenditure corresponds to 20.3 per cent of net sales.
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace. We embrace all aspects of diversity and inclusion which benefit our employees, patients and communities.