(temporary for 6-8 months, starting in Sept/Oct 2017)
We are looking for a talented and open-minded student who is fond of programming and who is interested in doing the research for his/her Master`s or Bachelor`s thesis in the Medicinal Chemistry Department at BI's Oncology research site in Vienna. This work will be part of a large initiative to strengthen BI's compound design capabilities by computational methods.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Developing and deploying fast and robust computational methods for compound design. This may include the use of quantum chemistry and/or knowledge mining of structural databases on high-performance computing clusters
- Design intuitive user interfaces for compound design in close collaboration with the medicinal chemists
- Keen scientists will also have the opportunity to contributing to fundamental scientific aspects which are aimed at increasing the accuracy and robustness of theory-driven and knowledge-based drug design
- Master's or Bachelor's degree students in Theoretical Chemistry, Information Technology or related field (Computational Life Sciences, Bio-/Chemoinformatics, Quantum Chemistry, Scientific Software Design, Software Development, Pharmacy)
- Excellent programming skills in a commonly used programming or scripting language (e.g. Python, Perl, Java, C++) are essential
- Experience with a molecular modelling software package (e.g. MOE, Maestro, LigandScout) is preferred
- A solid understanding of chemistry and reasonable knowledge of the drug discovery process is crucial, background in quantum chemistry and/or structural chemistry would be advantageous
- Full command of German and/or English
- Good communication and team-work skills
Our CultureBoehringer Ingelheim is one of the world's 20 leading pharmaceutical companies. Headquartered in Ingelheim, Germany, Boehringer Ingelheim operates globally through 145 affiliates and a total of some 50,000 employees. The focus of the family-owned company, founded in 1885, is on researching, developing, manufacturing and marketing new medications of high therapeutic value for human and veterinary medicine. In 2015, Boehringer Ingelheim achieved net sales of about 14.8 billion euros. R&D expenditure corresponds to 20.3 per cent of net sales.
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace. We embrace all aspects of diversity and inclusion which benefit our employees, patients and communities.